Thirty Thousand Streets

Sunday, March 22, 2009

Closer @ Hidden

On Friday night I went to a night called Closer, at a club called Hidden in Vauxhall which was, appropriately, tucked away on a little side street just next to the South Bank.

It's a pretty compact venue, with two shoebox-like dancefloors, one with a kind of mezzanine bar above it. There's also an astro-turfed smokers bit outside. Pretty unpreposessing really, but the music itself – some of the banging-est techno I've heard in a while – was a refreshingly cathartic opportunity to dance like a thing possessed, for most of the wee hours.

In spite of the yellow and black industrial stylings of the flyer, (which owe a rather obvious debt to The Hacienda and Peter Saville) and the fact that legendarily tough-as-titanium-nails producer The Surgeon was headlining, the music was on a surprisingly groovy Detroit flex (still well hard though).

Highlights for me included someone playing Game One by Infiniti (a Juan Atkins pseudonym) and 'The Surge' dropping Didgeridoo by the Aphex Twin at about five in the morning, though by that time I was somewhat weary, and in fact popped out about halfway through the tune to down a shot of vodka and ice at the bar.

Following this, Saturday was almost entirely couch based. I stayed in, ate Chinese and watched Gosford Park. Today I went for a mooch round Hampstead Heath with Will, Sam, their bairn Zac and Helen and Renee. On our way back home we passed George Orwell's old gaff on Parliament Road. Most relaxing.

Here's that Infiniti track. Enjoy. Or don't, if you hate Techno.

1 comment:

Antonia Cornwell said...

I like the tubular bell sound in this. It's making my back teeth tingle like they used to Back In The Day.

I used to listen to fast, filthy techno and hang off the balcony at the Orbit, a long time ago. Oh fuck it was good.

I had a for-old-times'-sake night out in November last year when Surgeon played at Corsica Studios in Elephant & Castle. It was a really good night, but I felt a bit old and tired and out of practice and was incredibly grateful to go home and let the pills wear off with a good cup of tea. It was really nice to look around the dancefloor, though, and see people smiling those happy, battered smiles that you just don't see in everyday life.

(Hello. I never wrote this up on my own blog, so I've just talked bollocks all over yours. Hello.)